Summers in South Africa can be scorcher! Help keep your horse comfortable in hot weather by doing the following:
- If you have brick stables with ventilation, then horses may be better in than out in hot weather. However, wooden Stables can get hot so horses may be better outside in the paddocks.
- Avoid riding in the hottest parts of the day.
- Clean water with no additives must always be available for horses.
- If your horse or pony seems uncomfortable in the heat, hose off allow them to dry naturally. Do not scrape water off. You can do this three to four times a day.
- If you see a horse, person or dog with heat stroke, cool them down by hosing/spraying water onto them. It doesn’t have to be ice cold to be effective – just put a lot of water on!
Extracted by HQ Magazine, Hot or Trot, November 2021.